Long Day

Sorry guys... this one is kinda long....

Well my long day started last night. Poor little man just hasn't been his usual self since about Monday. Last night he started running a fever :( I felt so bad for him.. all he really did last night was cry and it took forever to finally get him calm enough to go to sleep. So finally at about 11 (which is about an hour and a half past his bed time). Well we go to bed and I can hear him in there waking up about every 45 minutes give or take. He would wake up move around, cry a little and then go back to sleep after about 5 minutes. Then at 1:30 I get woke up by a screaming baby. I went and got him out of his crib, changed him, cleaned out his little nose, put more saline in his nose, put some baby vapor rub on his shoulders, gave him more tylenol, and then got him back to sleep. Oh and checked him temp... it was 101 on the dot. I had to wake up Dean so that he could get the humidifier down and get it going and then daddy got bonus points for thinking on his toes. We were trying to figure out a way for Zane to sleep at an incline on his stomach. We'd thought about the boppy but his face tended to get down into the pillow and he just will not sleep on his back. So daddy came up with the idea of putting a pillow under his mattress so that it would raise the bed and he wouldn't have anything different under him.. way to go daddy. That seemed to do the trick and we went back to bed for the night.

Little man slept till almost 8 this morning.. but still waiting up during the night about every 45 minutes. Then we did things all over again.. changed him, cleaned out his nose, more saline, more baby vapor rub, more tylenol and breakfast. Then around 9 I laid him back down so him and mommy could catch some more z's since we didn't get too much the night before. Then we got up, ran the routine and played a little... well tried... he was still screaming here and there... I knew the poor little guy didn't feel well. We both ate lunch and then I went to pick him up off his bean bag chair and he was so hot that he was soaked from head to toe. At that point there was no more contemplating on taking him to the doctor we were going. I called the ped a little before 2 and the nurse was on the phone so I had to leave a message. No big deal... they're always good about returning calls. So I finished getting us ready and left the house to head into Jacksonville.

My first stop was the bank... I figured if they hadn't called back by the time I was done I was going to call again. So at 3:15 I called... the nursed line was still busy... I wasn't leaving another message, so I called back and hit 0... you know you always hit 0, lol! anyways.. the lady answered and I told her that I had called an hour ago and that my son needed to be seen today. She said no problem and transfered me to the nurse. I spoke with her told her everything that was going on and that I knew he had a cold and I thought that he may be teething. She asked if he was tugging at his ears and I answered by saying not that I've noticed, lol, his hands are always in his mouth. Then she told me exactly what I thought she would... sounds like he has a cold and he's teething. A temp is ok just watch him. I told her that I would feel so much better if they would just let me bring him in and have them look at him that I thought that there may be a little more to it. I mean he has never teethed before, but he's never screamed like this either. So she agreed that if I thought there was more to go ahead and bring him in. The only open appointment was at 5... so we wasted a little time and got there early so that I could feed him before we got in there.... lol, according to the last doctor he shouldn't be eating baby food just yet :)

Dean had decided to leave work a little early and meet me over to see what they had to say. We got into the room and did the normal routine. He now weighs 14 pounds and 13 ounces (75%) and he was still running a fever of 100.7 Then a little later the doctor came in. The first thing she said when she walked in the room was that he was def teething. :) And said that a fever that high wouldn't be related to the teething that it was a little too high for that. She asked how he was eating.. here we go, I wasn't going to lie about the fact that he's been eating baby food for about a month now, lol! I told her "Well I guess I'm fixing to get yelled at but... he's eating his baby food just fine, especially if I feed him bananas..." then she stopped me and said "No, it's ok that he's eating baby food... I'm not one of those doctors, if he's hungry feed him" I thought I was going to hit the floor! then I finished "well his formula he's not eating so well... he usually eats about a 7oz bottle and he's getting down about 2 then stopping... then he'll want to finish it about an hour later" Then I told her our routine and want we were doing and giving him.. and she told us we were doing everything right. So then she checked his breathing... nothing in the lungs.. great! Def had a cold... but nothing more. Then on to the ears... :( Right Ear Infection!! My face dropped. I looked at Dean and said "I'm sure glad I followed that gut instinct that something else was wrong... can you imagine what tonight or yesterday would have been like?!?!" The doctor completely agreed and apologized for telling the nurse that she thought it was just a cold and that he didn't really need to be seen yet. She said that she was actually surprised he wasn't fussy (he was all smiles when we got there, like nothing was wrong!). I told her about 30 minutes ago you wouldn't have said that, lol, he was screaming bloody murder!

So we got a script for some antibiotics that he started tonight... went through that usually sick routine ... gave him a bath with the johnson's baby vapor bath and put him to bed. He's sleeping as I type on his inclined bed, with his froggy humidifier going and listening to his bedtime cd that his daddy made for him, lol! I'm so relieved that I pushed him being seen today... I'm sure it would have been a really rough night had I not.

Hope everyone else's day was much less rough than ours :)

Loves,
Jaime

Comments

Darlene said…
oh poor baby! At least you pushed to get him seen and now he has meds to get him better...
Mrs. Bell said…
I can attest that ear infections suck, so he has EVERY right to scream!!

I hope he feels better soon!!

Popular posts from this blog

I need your opinion for father's day photo!!!

Horrible News